Press HEDDA GABLER
Press Release: HEDDA GABLER
For Immediate Release
From: Nancy Richards
Office: 858-481-1055 ext. 220
NORTH COAST REP PRESENTS WORLD PREMIERE TRANSLATION
OF HENRIK IBSEN’S POWERFUL HEDDA GABLER
PHOTOS BY: Aaron Rumley
Performances Beginning Wednesday, June 1, 2016
Running Through Sunday, June 26, 2016
Translation by Anne-Charlotte Harvey
Solana Beach, Calif. Arguably one of the most complex and intriguing female characters ever written, HEDDA GABLER weaves a mesmerizing tale of a woman trapped in a loveless marriage who is driven by a need for power and freedom. Working from a freshly translated script by Anne-Charlotte Harvey that removes stilted language while staying true to Ibsen’s voice, the actors have put their personal touches on their characters to create a piece that speaks to contemporary audiences. Lovers of classic theatre will not want to miss this gripping world premiere translation.
David Ellenstein directs Cristina Soria*, Rhona Gold, Bruce Turk*, Mhari Sandoval*, Mel House*, Ray Chambers*, and Richard Baird*. The design team includes Marty Burnett (Scenic Design), Matthew Novotny (Lighting), Melanie Chen (Sound), Elisa Benzoni (Costumes), Andrea Gutierrez (Props) and Peter Herman (Wig & Hair). Aaron Rumley* is the Stage Manager.
HEDDA GABLER previews begin Wednesday, June 1. Opening Night on Saturday, June 4, at 8pm includes a post-show reception. There will be a special talkback on Friday, June 10, with the cast and artistic director. It will play Wednesdays at 7pm, Thursdays through Saturdays at 8pm, Saturday and Sunday matinees at 2pm with Sundays at 7pm, through June 26, 2016 (See Schedule below.) North Coast Repertory Theatre is located at 987 Lomas Santa Fe Drive, Solana Beach, CA 92075. Tickets: Previews- $39; Week Nights - $46; Sat. Eve. & Sun. Mat.- $50; Sat. Mat. & Sun. Night - $43. Seniors, Students, Military - $3 off admission. Call 858-481-1055 or visit www.northcoastrep.org to purchase tickets. *The actor or stage manager appears through the courtesy of Actors’ Equity Association, the union of professional actors and stage managers in the United States.
For background information and photos, go to www.northcoastrep.org/press.
Busy director David Ellenstein and his talented cast are available for interviews by phone, in person, and in- studio. For more information and to arrange interviews or press tickets, please contact Nancy Richards at email@example.com, or 917-873-6389 cell.
WHAT THE CRITICS ARE SAYING
- "In the well-produced staging that opened Saturday at North Coast Repertory Theatre in Solana Beach, she’s something almost entirely new. In a world premiere translation by San Diego playwright Anne-Charlotte Hanes Harvey, Hedda Gabler is Shakespeare’s Richard III, a gleefully humorous manipulator pulling the strings of those around her until she unwittingly entangles herself. It’s 19th-century naturalistic drama reimagined as black comedy. Even if you’ve seen ‘Hedda Gabler’ before, you’ve never seen it like this, … it’s fresh and entertaining." - San Diego Union Tribune, Pam Kragen (full review)
- “HEDDA GABLER is a splendid production with a stellar cast that performs at North Coast Repertory Theatre through June 26, 2016. Don’t miss it!” - Desert Local News, Jack Lyons (full review)
- "Ibsen’s complex heroine reigns in Solana Beach" - San Diego City Beat, David Coddon (full review)
- "David Ellenstein directs Anne-Charlotte Harvey’s newly translated and easy to manage no language barriers Hedda Gabler, to critical success. Her translation along with the terrific cast brings solicited as well as unsolicited chuckles, but honestly, this production speeds along on fast track and is engrossing to watch. … this Hedda Gabler all the trappings of one fine production." - Examiner, Carol Davis (full review)
- “Long time North Coast Rep Director David Ellenstein has done a tremendous job of assembling and directing a veteran cast. Classic theatre at its best is on stage at North Coast Rep. The amazing cast does a wonderful job….” - Vista Press, TR Robertson (full review)
- “insightful, intelligent and intense” - Jenni Prisk, Critic